Like so far!

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:18 PM

just downloaded this after seeing it in the list of packages in NuGet package manager.

I came here to check the documentation on using it. But the samples are pretty simple, and from looking at the source code for the project, seems like a lot more needs to be documented.

Since it seems to be fairly new project up here I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Please keep it going! I am looking at using this to build sample data for a presentation in a few weeks.

I even created my own ValueProvider and used it successfully! although I bet what I did is somewhere in the current code, I just couldnt find it quickly so I just tried writing one of my own!

Thanks!!

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to know someone's found it useful. :)

At the moment I'm juggling my time between adding features and documenting what's already there. There are definitely more capabilities available than I've documented so far and, while I'm hoping a lot of these are fairly discoverable via the API, I will get around to updating the docs as soon as I can.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I blogged about my experience at http://www.mathlionsoftware.com/2010/11/generating-sample-data/ and my tweet about the post was retweeted by Glenn Block @gblock

my one suggestion is 1) UseRange sounds like it should increment though that range and repeat if necessary. Maybe a better name would be PickRange and then UseRange you can set the range.

ie - UseRange(12, 21) to incrementally go from 12 to 21 and then repeat as needed for number of items being generated
PickRange(1, 12) to pick randomly between 1 and 12 for each item.

I ask as I was trying to get the id for my test items to start at 0 and not 1 so I tried UseRange(0, int.MaxValue) for that property and it alternated between the two. I just accepted the ids going from 1 and not 0.

and 2) what is the best way to do the item in my blog post I created my own ValueProvider for?